Saturday, May 8, 2010

I have a propensity to tinker with electricity and fire.

My macbook cord decomposed. I attempted a rewire, ignoring the little voice`in my head telling me it was a bad idea. I continually tell myself to listen to that voice and if something ever goes wrong and I didn't heed the voice, I lament and punish myself for not heeding the warning. But now that this voice has switched over to a foreign troll, my readiness to listen wavers. I trust it less than normal, not because it's foreign, but becuase it's new and we are not yet accustomed to each other. Gut instinct, yes please, but when everything seems a bit askew it's really hard to know>what to act on, move to, lean toward or do at all. It's a one woman show, which means I could walk around in zigzag formations all day or the same block, up and down, or sit like a statue till the end. No one to get annoyed, critisize, question, comment or follow. I woke up yesterday and read a Guy Debord text about the poverty of our leisure time. I might have just put that in to sound smart and productive. That sentence would be in parenthtesis but I can't find the key for parenthesis on this Norwegian key board among other things. Seriously though, he was addressing the nature of our bewilderment in regard to free time and how we can't handle the openness any longer. How structure and routine give us comfort b/c we've turned into robots. Anyway, it gave me pause and \i then encouraged myself to open up to the days and potential things in them. To not pre-plan or ponder for too long, what does it matter, can't find the question mark either. just go, do, be, not to worry about productivity and product to show for time spent. that doesn't make us happy or complete, just perpetually producing/consuming capitalists who are isolated and empty. what you look like or the judgement around your activity...it's nonsense we/re not micro companies. Don't live outside the self but within, engaging, acting, interacting, living, on your toes! okay, tangent. So back to the computer cord... it was as if I wanted to be daring, push the limits, on this micro level, by testing and engaging in this electrical endeavor. I knew it was a bad idea, but i wanted to attempt it and if it were a success I would have felt like an inventor, resourceful and innovative. I half forgot the cord was connected to my computer when I plugged it back into the wall after "rewiring. I did want to listen to the voice encouraging me to plug it first into the wall, to test for sparks, before attaching to my computer. Cleary my baby child computer is more important than my death by mac cord. The result: nothing. So here I am at my studio trying to order a new cord, but I forgot my debit card b/c i'm trying not to overthink things. I found this bike at my flat, hopped on and left focussing on its lack of brakes and the joy of bikeriding over the contents of my pocket.

1 comment: