Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Birds and I at 3:37 a.m.

Jet lag, medically referred to as "desynchronosis," is a physiological condition which is a consequence of alterations to circadian rhythms; it is classified as one of the circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Jet lag results from rapid long-distance transmeridian (east-west or west-east) travel, as on a jet plane.

Drinking tea. I have slept since 11pm and awake before dawn. It's 3:44 am. I have never experienced such a stubborn inflexibility in my body. Usually I can manhandle it into most things I desire-a battle of will or simply the strength of natural rhythms?

I wonder if it is a sign of age. I hear old voices in the back of my head complaining about jet lag and I recall never understanding the plight. It was always on par with sea sickness. I used to think, "callous up."

I now listen to strange birds outside my window and wonder if they are communicating with my Id, plucking at my inner irony chord--a subtle karmic sign reminding the self to have empathy for others, in particular the jet lagers of yesteryear. They will come back to roost in the pre-dawn psyche, in the land of seven mountains & seven fjords. They will continue to fly in laps around the fjord as if in a relay race against the rising sun and time's continual tock.


3 comments:

  1. this is good. can i have the blog password so that i may fuse my life journey spirit quest into yours? that way, our children will find our pasts indiscernible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Linds,
    Love you honey, you make me smile too. I miss you and hope life is handing you all the best. I think of you from time to time my friend.We are doing well, I just celebrated 3 years of sobriety....me. Can you believe it? I guess in this world anything is possible. Thanks for keeping us all up dated. I love you honey.
    Be well my sweet...Sarah

    ReplyDelete