Monday, July 12, 2010

on my way

Report from Helsinki airport:

Server: Do you want strong or week beer?
Me: mmm strong
Server: Large or small?
Me: mmm large.


I started reading again.

I have periods of internal dissidence.
I reject intellectual endeavors
Not to punish myself
but i simply develop a strange aversion
a fear begins to manifest
from a dark unknown place
my rational self suggests, "shouldn't you read just a bit?"
and this rebellious self squirms and protests and runs
the rational self begins to worry of normalizing into a submissive consumptive complacency coma
and the rebellious self hold on strong, rejecting, denying, holding, gritting, biting to it's position.
then one day
things change
unexpected
no warning
i casually pick up a book
and realize i can and enjoy reading again.

So here is a quote that I double stared in this passage I was reading.
He's discussing the idea that an art work does not need to break people into a binary of active and passive viewers, that we can all be equal interpreters, to invent our own translations of any work.

"Spectatorship is not the passivity that has to be turned into activity. It is our normal situation. We learn and teach, we act and know as spectators who link what they see with what they have seen and told, done and dreamt. There is no privileged medium as there is no privileged starting point." Jacques Ranciere, "The Emancipated Spectator"

(Confession: I am halfway into the strong, large beer. I am not sure this quote or my introduction of it makes sense here but it's a good thought-think about it.)

I half wish I could grab one of you to experience this new endeavor with me.
Don't get me wrong I'm excited and content solotripping about
but I do think of (probably) each of you in various places wishing I could share it with you.

Enter RussiA....

1 comment: