Friday, September 16, 2011

insurance agent. mechanic. surf instructor.

My Allstate agent just called from Maple Valley, Washington.
He periodically checks in concerning my policy needs.
I never recall his name or even recognized that it was the same guy each time.
In this conversation I relay that I have since moved to Hawaii.
He relates that he visits Honolulu each year.
He stays blocks away from my apartment.
He recommends a good Mexican restaurant.
I ponder the dynamics of anonymity and friendship.
Would I for instance have a margarita with my renters insurance agent?
Would I be more likely if he also had my car policy?
What if I met him on the beach, would we be friends?

I took my car to my mechanic.
It has a transmission leak.
I know this because I took the mechanic with me to buy the car.
The mechanic specializes in this type of car.
I know this because I bought a similar car before this one.
The mechanic's shop was listed in the car's service records.
I took the first car to said mechanic.
Mechanic had never serviced this car.
The book did not belong to the wheels.
He suggested I sell it immediately.
We exchanged energetic pathways.
My birthday is two days before his.
We share a birthday equinox.
We celebrate this day with a meal.
Lines of business and pleasure quiver.
Mechanic calls.
He reports the transmission does not leak.

I google surf lessons.
I find many schools.
I look at each website.
I consider the cost.
I select the top 3 with the best reviews.
I don't know why because I don't trust the taste of yelpers.
For whatever reason their opinions set my parameters for the initial narrowing.
This irritates me, so I don't focus on it long.
I don't like this unit of measure, but I reason it is easy and accessible.
Next, I size up the instructors from the yelp-narrowed grouping.
What is my criteria I ask myself.
A man.
Is this because I think women are weak surfers or that they might be catty or because I want some cross gender interaction?
A man, but not a datable man or at least not outright.
Someone who is not too attractive for that would intimidate and become a hindrance in my process. I would become too nervous to focus on surfing and therefore not be successful and also then embarrass myself in front of this potential man I want to date and therefore never date him or learn to surf and retreat with a sourgrapes self-deprecating attitude berating myself for not being more confident and therefore learning to surf and fuck the instructor. I would be coming home to consider self-affirmations in the mirror with the idea of improving thyself in preparation for the next instance that this might happen but determine self-affirmations will take away from the goal at hand - learn to surf - and once adept become more self-confident and then surf with the man that I was too intimidated to learn from and later fuck with confidence
So what is my criteria?
I want someone who is calm but has personality.
But not someone who talks too much to a point of annoyance.
But not someone who is burnt out and zones with the tides.
A character but not over the top.
Someone I might want to incorporate in one of my projects.
Confident and enough creature to not give a damn.
Older but not fatherly old.
Not too young, as I would then become self-conscious of my since puberty-cultivated love-handles.
Hands-on but not pervish as I would then become distracted with the desire to run my surfboard over his face.
I settle on Al.
Older, experienced, calm, professional, potentially boring, but I reason a good introduction and he's cheap (cost quietly factors)
Erik is backup.
Runner-up because he purportedly talks a lot and seems younger than First Choice Al. His name with the "K" spelling indicates Scandinavian heritage and the potential to be too attractive. I assume the yelpers would have brought this up, as nothing is off limits, yet again I don't align my tastes with yelpers. What if I met Erik and fell over in his quirky charm? I don't have to worry with Al. He is no threat. Not too much, not too little - wild card he is not. Erik taught his dog to surf, which indicates he could teach anyone, for that I ponder lesson II with Erik.

--choices, lines, sand--

No comments:

Post a Comment