Tuesday, June 1, 2010

and I was just going on about the phallus










An amazing female sculptor die at 98 -- Loise Bourgeois


http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/01/arts/design/01bourgeois.html

The subject of pain is the business I am in,” she said. “To give meaning and shape to frustration and suffering.” She added: “The existence of pain cannot be denied. I propose no remedies or excuses.”

I have been cultivating my inner voice, coincidence maybe, but very strange that I've been pondering the role of phallic symbology and she dies. Carl Jung would call this synchronicity.

"The dance transcending the worlds of mind and matter is responsible, in Jung's view, for the phenomenon of 'meaningful coincidence', which he called synchronicity: 'a coincidence in time of two or more causally unrelated events which have the same or similar meaning." Stevens

I was not familiar with the story behind her work, the impetus or drive, until now. At age 12 she discovered her father's longstanding affair with her au pair. This trauma then fueled her life's work. It's amazing how bits of knowledge seem to bubble to the surface and fit into place, charting symbols in the mind's trove.

I appreciate that.

I'll leave you with a few bizarre ads from history's archive.





1 comment:

  1. " Carl Jung would call this synchronicity" - as would Sting (or the Police to be completely accurate)

    ReplyDelete